SUMMER 2018 ARTS @ KARAMU
SEMESTER DATES: JUNE 18, 2018 - AUGUST 4, 2018 - 7 week session
CULMINATING EVENT: AUGUST 1, 2018 - 1:00 PM & 6:30 PM BUY TICKETS NOW
Join us for a performance-based, arts intensive with focused instruction in dance, drama, vocal music, creative writing and visual arts led by professional artists.
Each session will culminate with a youth production!
GRADES: 7-12 (must have completed 6th grade)
LENGTH OF DAY: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm, *breakfast at 8:30 am
ATTENDANCE GOAL: 100 students
TUITION: $875 (financial assistance based on federal income guidelines and availability of funds)
Summer arts at Karamu consists is a seven (7)-week, performance-based, arts intensive providing sequential, rigorous and mastery-based instruction in dance, drama, and vocal music, with literary and visual arts. Students will be trained by professional artists, growing their technical knowledge and artistic acumen. Learners will also employ 21st Century skills as well as social & emotional learning competencies. The final performance or demonstration of learning, will take place at the conclusion of the 7-week training period.
Summer Arts follows Karamu’s unique arts education philosophy: exploring the histories of self, community and institution in order to identify intersections and create long-term Karamu and arts supporters. These points of entry allow for true artistic growth and authentic connections, keeping students and families engaged with Karamu House as lifelong learners and patrons who take responsibility for the longevity of this great organization.
- Performing Arts Classes: Arts discipline training covering fundamental technique and creative exploration.
- Sankofa Study: Sessions dedicated to Karamu’s arts education philosophy of historical exploration and awareness (self, community, institution).
- Rehearsal: Rehearsal period teaching students through the process of professionally structured theatre rehearsals and professional standards. Students will learn industry practices while implementing arts training and preparing for the final production.
- Field Experiences: Excursions that align to Summer Arts programming and supplement student learning.
21st Century (work-readiness) Skills
Through this intensive arts instruction, several 21st Century skills will be used, including:
- Creativity + Imagination – Students will be encouraged to think outside of the box and use their imaginations to identify new and innovative ways to problem-solve.
- Critical Thinking – Students will be encouraged to synthesize all of the stories in the room to draw out commonalities and differences. They will then collectively contribute to the creation strategy of telling a cohesive story through drama and dance movement.
- Professional Communication – Students will be responsible for effectively communicating their ideas and stories in oral and written form. These personal stories will be used as narrative or background material for their demonstration of learning performance.
- Adaptability – As with any well-planned project, unexpected circumstances arise that provide opportunities for creative solutions. Students will be encouraged to be flexible, when necessary, to achieve the project goals.
Social & Emotional Learning Core Competencies
Through this program, students will have experiences with the social & emotional learning core competencies. These competencies include:
- Self-Awareness – Recognizing one’s emotions and values as well as one’s strengths and challenges.
- Social Awareness – Showing understanding and empathy for others.
- Self-Management – Managing emotions and behaviors to achieve one’s goals.
- Relationship Skills – Forming positive relationships working in teams, dealing effectively with conflict.
- Responsible Decision-Making – Making ethical, constructive choices about personal and social behavior.
To register click REGISTER NOW or download, fill out and return all forms listed below to
Karamu House, C/O Arts Education 2355 East 89th St. Cleveland, Ohio 44106
OR contact Aseelah Shareef, Program Director at 216-795-7070