Position: Technical Director
Reports To: President + CEO
FLSA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Karamu House (Cleveland, Ohio) seeks a fulltime, 12-month salaried, Technical Director to coordinate the overall production and technical requirements for events in three theatres (Jelliffe, 200-seats, Arena, 100-seats and Concert Hall, 60-seats) and other special event venues as assigned. A typical season consists of (6) six main stage productions, (4) four special stage productions (4) four jazz concerts, (4) four comedy shows, and various community events and external rentals. The Technical Director is expected to be a “hands-on” supervisor who provides the highest standard of service, exhibits clear follow through, and excels at open communication. The successful candidate should possess excellent organizational and communication skills, and strong leadership ability.
Because a TD may be called upon to deal with a wide range of technical issues, he or she benefits from a working knowledge of techniques, methods and procedures of theatre, dance, and music productions and presentations including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management; computerized lighting systems; stage carpentry; appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITES FOR THE ROLE INCLUDE:
- Operate, maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, and communications equipment, as well as the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
- Determine the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs, necessary for events and performances presented at the facility in advance of production dates.
- Design, set-up, maintain, and operate lighting and sound systems for theatre, dance, music, and other productions and projects; assisting guest designers and artists with technical matters.
- Advise production managers and lighting and sound designers on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for each show and supervise the implementation of approved technical designs.
- Supervise and assist with set and stage construction and time management aligned to each build.
- Assist in recruiting, training and assignment of volunteer or paid technical staff for individual shows.
- Orient facility renters and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations; facilitate the use of the technical facilities by the resident company and others engaged by or renting the facility.
- Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging; arrange for repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; perform preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Assist with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintain inventory and order specialized supplies.
- Attend technical week rehearsals, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of the mounting of each show.
- Make recommendations to the President + CEO, and theatre leadership, regarding capital purchases of technical equipment.
SUCCESS IN THIS POSITION REQUIRES:
- Strong ability to maintain effective working relationships with representatives of various groups, vendors, co-workers, and others
- Maintain irregular and extended working hours
- Ability to lift, push or pull objects up to 100 pounds using appropriate tools
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- A minimum of a bachelor degree in technical theatre
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience as a Technical Director
- Experience operating and maintaining theatrical rigging, lighting, sound, and projection in a professional theater
- Ability to work successfully under pressure to meet deadlines and goals
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and competitive with similar positions throughout the region. The range of benefits include medical, paid time off and accident protection.